A member of the firm since 1991, Alan joined McNees Wallace & Nurick in 1985 following a clerkship with a Federal District Court Judge. He is the Chair of the firm's Injunction Group and, in related capacities, is also a member of the Litigation and Intellectual Property Groups.
Most of Alan's work relates to pursuing and defending matters requiring prompt attention of the courts. As chair of the Injunction Group, he coordinates the resources of that Group to ensure that client needs are met when emergencies arise. Alan and the Group routinely handle trademark, copyright, trade secret, contract, non-competition, corporate governance and other business disputes in jurisdictions throughout the country. He regularly handles injunction proceedings in state and federal courts in Pennsylvania, and has also had cases in Kentucky, Washington, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Ohio, Mississippi, Illinois, Texas and Florida. Alan has lectured to County Bar Associations and the Pennsylvania Bar Institute on injunction procedures and practices as well as enforcement of non-competition agreements and protection of trade secrets, and has published several articles on the subjects.
Alan also represents non-profit corporations, including the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association, Inc., and the New Birth of Freedom Council, Boy Scouts of America.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Current U.S.D.C. Middle District of Pennsylvania Certified Mediator
- Past President, National High School Mock Trial Championship, Inc., Board of Directors
- Past President, Leadership Carlisle, Board of Directors
- Past Member, U.S.D.C. Middle District of Pennsylvania Lawyers' Advisory Committee
- Past Member, U.S.D.C. Middle District of Pennsylvania Mediation Committee
- Past Chair, Pennsylvania Bar Association Statewide High School Mock Trial Executive Committee
- Past President, Keystone Area Council, BSA
- Past President, New Birth of Freedom Council, BSA (2012)
- Recipient, Silver Beaver Award
- Member, BSA Northeast Region, Area Committee (2006-present)
- Member, BSA National Council (2003-present)
- Recipient, Pennsylvania Bar Association, President's Award
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers®
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Intellectual Property Litigation, 2009-2015
- Best Lawyers®, Lawyer of the Year, 2013, 2015
- Martindale-Hubbell rated "AV Preeminent"
- Harrisburg Best Lawyers, Lawyers of the Year, "Bet The Company Litigation", 2014
Westminster College, B.A., 1980, cum laude
Dickinson School of Law, J.D., 1983, cum laude
Woolsack Honor Society; Dickinson Law Review; Law Clerk to Hon. R. Dixon Herman, M.D. Pa., 1983-1985.
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court