Stephanie Carfley practices in the McNees Wallace & Nurick LLC Litigation and Injunction groups, where her understanding of business issues outside the courtroom and problem-solving approach helps clients successfully resolve business disputes, claims and cases of all types. Stephanie’s practice focuses on business and commercial litigation and dispute resolution in areas such as employment, business torts, insurance, health care, real estate and other civil litigation.
Stephanie skillfully handles claims and cases from the time the initial dispute arises through trial as necessary. She is frequently called upon to advise clients on risk management strategies and help resolve business disputes by avoiding litigation whenever possible. When litigation is required, Stephanie uses her substantial state and federal court experience to successfully represent clients and identify ways to use litigation as part of a broader strategy to obtain business objectives. Stephanie has tried both bench and jury trials and often works as local and/or regional counsel with clients and lawyers located in other jurisdictions. In addition to developing her skills through case handling, Stephanie has also completed intensive training programs offered by the National Institute for Trial Advocacy in the areas of trial skills, taking and defending depositions, and mediation and negotiation skills.
- Employment Litigation: While her experience spans various practice areas, commercial employment disputes are central to Stephanie’s practice. Stephanie handles a wide variety of litigation issues, including employment contract disputes, enforcement/defense of restrictive covenants, i.e. non-competition, non-solicitation and non-disclosure agreements, breach of fiduciary duty claims, unfair competition and misappropriation of trade secret cases as well as wrongful discharge and wage payment matters.
- Business and Commercial Litigation: As a commercial litigator, Stephanie helps clients with the problems that affect their businesses. She routinely assists clients in resolving all types and varieties of disputes that arise in industries such as manufacturing, insurance, financial services, professional services, health care, communications, real estate, agri-business, food and beverage, construction, among others.
- Insurance Litigation: Stephanie’s insurance litigation experience includes successfully handling insurance coverage disputes, bad faith claims, denial of coverage cases as well as tort claims in the areas of products liability, breach of warranty, negligence and other personal injury and property damage claims.
- Health Care Litigation: Stephanie’s health care litigation experience includes representing health care institutions, physicians and physician practice groups in various matters.
Stephanie was a Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable David E. Grine, Court of Common Pleas of Centre County from 1996-1997.
Events / Speaking Engagements
Memberships and Affiliations
- Central Penn Business Journal, Forty Under 40, 2009
- National MS Society Leadership Award Recipient, 2010
- Hospice and Community Care, Audit Committee Member, current
- Hospice and Community Care, Directorship Committee Member, current
- Hospice and Community Care, Board of Directors, 2004-2012
- Hospice and Community Care, Executive Committee Member, 2004-2012
- Hospice and Community Care, past treasurer
- Palliative Medicine Consultants, Board of Directors, 2007-2012
- Lancaster Family YMCA, Board of Directors, 2004-2010
- Lancaster Family YMCA, Secretary/Executive Committee Member, 2008-2010
- Girls on the Run, Board of Directors, current
- National MS Society Advisory Council for Lancaster, 2011 and 2012
- American Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Lancaster Bar Association
Bucknell University, B.A., 1993, cum laude
University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D., 1996
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1997
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, 2003
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 1998
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, 2011