Kim chairs the Education Law Group and practices in the Litigation Group.
Kim represents universities, colleges, school districts, charter schools, and other providers of educational services. She regularly provides counsel on matters involving student and faculty rights and compliance with federal and state laws. Kim assists educational institutions with policy development and provides training on liability risk avoidance. Kim has extensive experience with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the Campus Security Act, the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). Kim also represents educational institutions in litigation.
Kim's litigation practice focuses on business disputes and estate and fiduciary matters. She represents corporations and business owners in disputes involving contracts, warranties, real estate, and business torts. Kim also represents estate executors, trustees, and other fiduciaries in matters involving duties to beneficiaries of estates and trusts. Kim advocates for clients in the trial and appellate state and federal courts, in arbitrations, and before administrative agencies.
Representative List of Client Legal Services
- Drafting policies and student handbook provisions for higher education institutions relating to student discipline, student rights, student organizations, political activity, harassment, and facilities use;
- Training faculty and administrators on liability risk avoidance;
- Overseeing electronic discovery and preservation of electronically stored information;
- Assessing and addressing campus security threats;
- Advising on federal and state legal requirements for student loan programs and lending programs;
- Obtained injunctive relief enforcing noncompetition and nonsolicitation agreements;
- Defended estate executor against claims asserted in multi-million estate litigation;
- Obtained compensatory and punitive damages in business dispute involving unfair trade practices;
- Successfully defended corporate trustee in claim seeking to invade the principal of a disabled minor's trusts.