McNees' Education Law Group understands the unique needs of educational institutions. Our depth of knowledge in the legislative, policy, and practical matters affecting educational institutions allows us to approach legal issues with foresight, creativity, and sensitivity to the educational mission and dynamic environment of educational institutions.
Through decades of experience in serving public school districts, charter schools, intermediate units, colleges, universities, and other providers of educational services, McNees has developed superior technical expertise in the full gamut of education law issues that arise for educational institutions in the board room, the classroom, and the courtroom. We assist in the development and implementation of policies, advise on issues involving governance and finance, and track proposed legislative changes that will affect educational institutions. We provide counsel on compliance with federal and state laws and issues involving student and faculty rights and discipline. When claims are asserted, we defend our clients with zeal and professionalism, and, when necessary, we do not hesitate to protect our clients' rights through litigation.
Turn to McNees' Education Law Group for:
- Counsel on the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Action (FERPA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Clery Act, and the Higher Educational Opportunity Act (HEOA)
- Guidance on complying with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and defense of due process claims asserted under the IDEA
- Assistance with legal issues related to student conduct, student rights, and student organizations
- Guidance with respect to tax related issues, including maintenance of tax exempt status, excess benefit transactions, unrelated business income, planned giving programs and the creation of endowments and foundations.
- Advice regarding employee discipline, hiring, firing, tenure decisions, and academic freedom
- Defense of discrimination and harassment claims
- Counsel regarding employee benefits matters, including the design, preparation, implementation and operation of retirement plans, benefit plans and deferred compensation, plus plan compliance and risk management
- Public finance transactions, including legal assistance on bond issues, rate swaps, derivatives, and other debt financing transactions
- Liability avoidance for programs on campus, in study-abroad programs, and during student field trips and internships